Thursday 9 August 2007

that interview didn't go so well

After that ridiculous flight over, my bags arrived via courier Tuesday just before midday. By this stage since I didn't know what time my bags were going to arrive and I was getting hungry. Since I couldn't leave the house, little Will was on his way over bringing me a subway sandwich. After lunch we both headed off to my haircut appointment that little Will had set up with someone he knew. The appointment was for 2pm and we arrived on time. As always with hair salons, they were running a little behind and we were asked to come back in 20 mins. We came back and then little Will and I sat there from 20 past 2 to 3pm. At this stage I was running on a short fuse when Will asked this guy he knows how much longer, to which he replied another 20 mins. That takes it to an hour and twenty minutes. I did excuse myself and left to go out for a smoke and little Will came outside with me. I bitched an complained as up to this point no one thing had gone my way. During this bitch session this guy calls little Will to explain that he had another 3 hour appointment just about to arrive and if I could reschedule. This guy knew I had arrangements the next day to talk to a guy about a job and thus why I was getting my haircut. I stormed back in, grabbed my stuff and meanwhile he tried to explain how it had been a stressful day for him. Stressful for him! Well that didn't go down well with me and obviously came out in my facial expressions. As I stomped down the stairs and looked back, I see little Will make idol chatter with this guy he knows, to which I yell out back up the stairs 'hurry up I havent got all day'. Obviously that was enough to upset this guy of who later called little Will to hurl abuse at him for my attitude and how I made his client sitting in the chair feel uncomfortable. All I can say is that that afternoon I got my haircut elsewhere at probably a third of the price and it is just as good. In fact I'm extremely happy with it.

So its now Wednesday and I'm sporting my new do, dressed up and heading to the arranged lunch to talk to a guy about a job. I have had severe doubts over the past weeks leading up to this as the papers back home have been full of news stories about the state of the sub-prime housing market in the States. Story after story was being reported and how bad the market was and I had my concerns that it would flow onto all areas of the economy. During this lunch my fears were realised. The offer of a position with this company had been withdrawn. What I haven't mentioned previous was that this job offer was with a Mortgage Brokerage. From the time I got to Sydney airport, to arriving in San Francisco with no luggage, to the hair appointment that went all wrong, to the withdrawal of the job. It just wasn't going to happen for me.

After the disappointing lunch meeting I went back to little Will's office where I met his fellow workers, including the owner of the radio station and his wife. They told me how they just hired an Australian women through a employment agency, where by this employment agency did all the sponsoring and then sub-contracted her out to the station. It sounded just like what I was looking for and asked if I could get the details. We will wait now and see what happens

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home