Friday 10 August 2007

its all now falling into place

Up until Thursday morning I had thought that this trip was going to be a total waste of time, energy and money in relation to sorting out any job opportunities. That was until the phone call from little Will saying that he had gotten in touch with a representative from the employment agency I mentioned in my previous blog write up. This agency is based in Seattle and this guy happened to have been in San Francisco for a day and was leaving for the airport in just over an hour and to give him a call. I called him and he told me to come down for a chat over coffee, but it had to be right away. As I'm getting my shit together I'm also getting calls from a contact of little Will's, Gloria, who works for New Resource Bank. It was like O.M G everything is hitting me at once. I had a great chat with Gloria over the phone as she had received my resume and wanted to talk further about it. She was passing it up the line of her management as well as circulating it to contacts at other organisations. After our chat I was then racing out the door and down the steep S.F hills to meet up with Adam, the representative from the employment agency.

I met up with Adam, another Australian around my age, who's job it is to assist Australian getting work in the U.S. We spoke about his role and what it is that his company offered to people such as myself. We then spoke about my skills and education and what it is that I wanted to do for myself. I could see after my meeting with George on Wednesday that went totally wrong for me that this was the perfect opportunity for me. The employment agency would do all the paperwork for me, assist me setting up in the U.S with such things as Social Security numbers, bank accounts and credit cards, accommodation and job search assistance. The agency took care of all my tax obligations and such knew the tax system and all the tax benefits that I was entitled to. Yes there is a on-going fee for this, but it is small and all the stress and worries and tax obligations are all taken away from me. What is also taken away from me is the uncertainty of retaining a job and thus my work visa. If I was directly employed by another a company, my work visa would be tired to that job and company. If the I was to loose such position I would automatically loose my visa and have ten days to leave the U.S, but with being sponsored through this agency, if I was to loose employment they would put me on unpaid leave for up to six weeks to allow me to find alternate employment, to which they would then again subcontract me out. Its perfect, well I think so. Adam was a great guy to talk to and came recommended by the lady, Pam, that is soon to be working at little Will's radio station. Pam said that Adam changed her life for the better, and is the best thing she ever did.

I am sure that this is the right move for me. Adam is going to set me up with my visa and my resume is already circulating getting my name out there. I don't see any reason why I cant be fulfilling a dream soon. It is meant to be, why else would the day after my dreadful lunch meeting with George would Adam happen to be in San Francisco for that day and immediately make contact with me to say that he was eager to talk to me.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:38:00 am , Blogger Willie Boy's Life adventures said...

Your dreams will come true and I give you my word that WE will make this happen together. I want nothing more than to see you acheive your goal of living in the states and I will stand by your side all the way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home